I felt it was my duty to try the new restaurant in St. Clements. After all, it has been open for three weeks, and I go past it every day. I went straight after work, which meant I got there about 1630, which I suspected would be too early. I was delighted when they said that they wouldn't dream of turning a customer away, did a quick check with the chef and invited us to take a seat.
The menu had four or five starters and main courses, as well as four or five vegetarian options. There were also a few specials which included whole lemon sole. I always feel it's reassuring when there aren't too many things on the menu; hopefully it means things are fresh and cooked to order.
I started with a very reasonably priced glass of fizz and an oyster. I had been craving oysters since reading a book by a French author which entailed the protagonist going to lots of brasseries and eating lots of oysters. It lived up to my expectations and came with all the trimmings you'd expect.
I'm always disappointed when bread and butter is something that needs to be paid for, rather than automatic. We steered clear of the bread because it had a hefty price tag of £3.95. It was described as a 'bucket', but I still thought that was too expensive.
My starter (yes, the oyster was a just an amuse bouche) was baked dressed crab. It was something I'd never had hot before, and to be honest I think I prefer it cold. Still, it was rich and tasty, and covered with cheese, so by no means unpleasant. I preferred my companion's starter of monkfish cheeks with chilli and lime which was delicious.
My main course was the real winner: a surf and turf. Priced at £25.95, this comprised fillet steak, a half lobster, French fries, leaves and an abundance of garlic butter. It was perfect. The rare steak was charred but bloody, the lobster was moist with butter and easily accessible (without tools) and the fries were hot, salty and plentiful.
We couldn't manage pudding, but forced one down in the name of research. We shared a pavlova with strawberries, raspberries and cream. The fruit was sweet, the meringue was chewy and there wasn't too much cream so I told myself it was a very light pudding.
For the most part, the service was excellent, but it could have been slightly more attentive. I'd have had a third glass of fizz if I'd been asked a bit sooner. Water was replenished without asking though which I love - this sounds simple enough but rarely happens. Seasalt is very new though so I can allow for service not being perfect.
I will be happy to return.

No comments:
Post a Comment