It was a last minute decision to go, so my photos don't do it justice because they weren't taken with my proper camera. We were lucky to get a table at short notice and we did need to promise to vacate the table within two hours (which is not something I usually agree to, being a slow eater and usually wanting pre-drinks, at least three courses and coffee).
I got there early so managed pre-drinks without using up valuable table time. There's a good selection of drinks and there is also a drinks menu which changes with the seasons. Today's menu featured drinks such as a quince toddy (bourbon optional), damson gin martini and medlar fizz. I went for the martini (fresh, sweet and containing an actual damson) and my dining companion had a bohemian pilsner (whatever that is). We were given bread, butter and water within moments of sitting down.
The food menu was full of delights as usual. Some highlights were (to start):
Venison goulash
Sardines with gremolata on sourdough toast
Duck and rabbit rillettes
And for mains:
Slow cooked lamb shoulder with gratin dauphinois (to share between a few people)
Potato and ricotta ravioli
Steak and ale suet crust pie (I've had this before and can vouch for it, ohhh the crust)
I opted for the twice baked Stichelton souffle, with pear and walnut salad. It was rich, fluffy, and the sweetness of the pear complemented the sharpness of the blue cheese. I should also mention that the salad was not over dressed, which seems to be a common issue. I had the opportunity to try the sardines as well which were delicious, but a bit too faffy for me when I was on the verge of hanger.
The showstopper was the main course: Beef Wellington. My dining companion reminded me of a Mary Berry programme when she says, "There's nothing worse than an over cooked fillet of beef." Let's face it, there are plenty of things worse than that (genocide and Tories spring to mind), but I think Mary would have been very pleased with the beef at the Magdalen Arms. Red and pink melt in the mouth beef was surrounded by what tasted like chicken liver pate, perhaps with some buttery mushrooms (duxelles?) thrown in, encircled by sublime golden brown pastry which was the perfect combination of flaky and moist.
As I said, the photos really don't do it justice. You can't even see the perfect golden colour of the pastry. It was truly delicious. It was served with buttery cabbage.
I couldn't manage a pudding (and anyway, I still have mince pies in the cupboard), but I can vouch that they are always good. Tonight's menu featured chocolate fondant, prune and armagnac ice cream and a cheeseboard.
Have a look for yourself at the ever changing menus:
http://www.magdalenarms.co.uk/
The one thing that they let themselves down on tonight was the loos. The girls' loos had rubbish all over the floor! It looked as if a selfish/very stressed parent had changed a nappy and then had to leave before they'd cleared up. No nappy smell thank goodness, but a trail of loo roll and various baby wipes and an empty packet of wipes, all over the floor! Bear in mind we ate very early, so perhaps whoever was meant to clean/check the loos hadn't yet done so? Either way, it was a bit off-putting, and had it been my first visit, I might have turned and walked back out again.
The pleasant and friendly service (and did I mention the food?) certainly eclipsed the loo experience. My only regret is that I didn't manage a pudding on this occasion.
P.S. There are often dishes to share at the Magdalen Arms. Some are for two, others are for as many as five. It's one of the few places I've ever felt comfortable sharing food, because the portions are big enough to satisfy me.


No comments:
Post a Comment