Sunday, 17 June 2018

Ashmolean Rooftop Restaurant 8th June 2018

This was my fourth time at the Ashmolean, and, amazingly, the third time that it was on someone else's dime.  My first time was paid for by company who had a contract with my then employer and the second was a 'free lunch' because I was being an interviewed for a book. Yes, I'm being serious.  How very Oxford, right?!  My last trip was thanks to a gift voucher I was given for my birthday.  I'm sure free food tastes better.

My dining companion arrived early, so we went half an hour earlier than our booking.  This was not an issue at all.  The staff looked after us well, with water and drinks sorted out straight away, and a promise that food would be imminent.  It was warm enough to sit outside, all the better to see the 'dreaming spires'.  (N.B. It certainly wasn't a bad view, but there are better places to see the spires.)

Our voucher allowed two glasses of Prosecco, but we were able to swap these for our drinks of choice.  I went for Champagne, and he went for a bottle of Abingdon Bridge beer.  I chose the charred mackerel to start.


The description was: Charred mackerel, candied beetroot, lamb's lettuce, dill, tangerine oil.  As you can see, it was beautifully presented, but it did not live up to my expectations.  Although the flavour of the fish was terrific, the skin wasn't crispy, and I didn't feel the tangerine oil (or the tangerine segments) complemented it at all.  I suppose the theory was that the oily fish would match well with a citrus flavour, but the tangerine oil was not strong enough to cut through the fish.  Also, surely the last thing an oily fish like mackerel needs is more oil?  The beetroot had no sweetness to it and I didn't like the texture.  It didn't seem to be candied; it just seemed hard, as if it hadn't been cooked for long enough.  I'm not sure there was any dill, or if there was, I couldn't taste it.  The fish itself was delicious, and I enjoyed the lamb's lettuce, but the whole thing would have been enhanced by crispy skin and perhaps lemon instead of tangerine.  

I much preferred my companion's starter, which I would never have ordered because it sounded so boring: chicken croquette and gem lettuce with Caesar dressing.  However, the chicken was incredibly tasty and succulent and, let's face it, everyone that knows that chicken Caesar salad is a winning combo.

We both chose the same main course which is very unusual for us: the potato gnocchi with Grana Padano, black truffle fondue sauce and baby spinach.  We both agreed it was terrific.


The gnocchi was the perfect texture.  The sauce was rich, cheesy and coated the gnocchi without being claggy.  The breadcrumbs gave it a bit of crunch and the flavour of the truffle came through without being overpowering.  It was so rich that I had to have a little rest halfway through, but I did manage to finish it.  We ordered another beer and a carafe (why don't more places do carafes?) of wine with our main courses.

We were both pretty stuffed by this stage, so we finished our drinks and ordered coffee rather than opting for pudding.  Our voucher gave us £61 off the total bill.  Two starters, two main courses, a glass of champagne, two beers, a 500ml carafe of Viognier, two double espressos and a good tip came to £100, so the voucher gave us a substantial saving.  Thank you to the person who gave me it!


Despite being disappointed in my starter, I would definitely go back to the Ashmolean.  The service was attentive without being over the top.  The setting is not to be sniffed at, even if it's not quite as impressive as the view from the top of the University Church of St. Mary the Virgin.  I thoroughly enjoyed the majority of the food and the drinks.  I also thought the flexibility of the voucher was brilliant, because you weren't tied to particular courses on the menu or one type of drink.  Maybe I should ask for one every year for my birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment