If there's a tasting menu available, I always choose it, as I feel it's the best way to experience what the restaurant has to offer. A tasting menu also allows a chef to showcase his or her signature dish. As luck would have it, Haar was only offering the tasting menu, with no a la carte option, which meant no prolonged arguments with my dining companion. I made the booking online and was concerned by the rule that the table had to be vacated within two hours, apparently due to COVID restrictions. So... the virus becomes more vicious and deadly at two hours and one minute than it is at one hour and 59 minutes? It seemed to me that the restaurant was trying to maximise its covers (fair enough after an enforced closure for months), but just wasn't being honest about it. Two hours is not necessarily long enough to enjoy a tasting menu and a coffee, so I had a sense of foreboding.
Thankfully, my first impression when we were greeted by the maitre d' was a good one. He was welcoming without being overly friendly, and instructive without managing to irritate me. I have found it very difficult to get customers to obey our COVID rules at work, so I felt that he did this really well, and took a mental note for my next day in the office.
The first course arrived soon after, with which we had some champagne. It was a pre-appetiser: a single oyster, an olive and a won ton. The saltiness of each of them instantly created an illusion of being at the seaside. The oyster was the highlight for me as it genuinely felt like eating a bit of the glorious smell I'd enjoyed earlier during a walk along the beach. Bryan wasn't keen on trying an oyster, although with the Tom Yum flavour it was definitely a gateway oyster and would have been a good place to start for the uninitiated. They were all layed out on a bed of pearl barley, and both oysters had a solitary piece of pearl barley inside. I assume this was supposed to be the pearl inside the oyster! Attention to detail like is what makes a good meal memorable. The won ton was steamed, so more like dim sum: wafer thin, soft casing rather than crunchy and crispy.
The next course was my favourite. It was beef tartare, and it was absolutely bursting with umami. The yolk was confit egg yolk; I don't know if it usually is but the flavour was incredible. It came with black garlic which smelt like wild garlic but had a much more subtle flavour. The tartare was served with urfa (Turkish chili) crackers which appeared flimsy but somehow held the food after I scooped it on.
Smoked lobster with mirin butter was next. There was so, so much butter. It was a relatively small dish, but still felt like too much. I have never left uneaten sauce on my plate before! The rice wine enhanced the richness of the butter, and gave it a sweetness similar to sherry. The hard work had been done for you so the meat was either already loose or required minimal teasing to get it out.
www.carbonfreedining.org/haar
The six course tasting menu was £80 per person. With a half bottle of champagne, a cocktail and a couple of (rather fancy) soft drinks, the bill came to £243, which did not include service, but did include a 99p charge to plant a fruit tree to offset the carbon footprint and food waste of the meal. This seems like a lot of money, but we've only been out for dinner four times since March, whereas we would usually eat out about once a week. Personally I felt it was worth the price tag for the experience, the exciting menu and the things I had never tried before such as mirin butter and enoki. Haar is in the Michelin Guide for Fife, but does not have a star.
I'll leave you with a photo of pudding. It has been suggested that this looks more like a selection of Lush bath bombs... you decide.
Diseño web Madrid
ReplyDeleteAgencia de Diseño y Desarrollo de Páginas Web
Diseño web Madrid. Empresa de desarollo web y diseño gráfico especializada en páginas web, tiendas online, plataformas e-learning y marketing digital.